The Power of Ginger
Ginger is one of the most versatile spices we have available. It can make a delicious as well as nutritious addition to any sweet or savory recipe. The bioactive compound found in ginger, “gingerol”, is said to help cure ailments, such as nausea, flu, cold, as well as ease digestion due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant powers.
Ginger’s benefits may include:
· treating many forms of nausea, especially morning sickness;
· reducing muscle pain and soreness;
· providing anti-inflammatory effects that can help with osteoarthritis;
· drastically lowering blood sugars and improving heart disease risk factors;
· helping treat chronic indigestion;
· significantly reducing menstrual pain;
· lowering cholesterol levels;
· containing a substance that may help prevent cancer;
· improving brain function and protect against Alzheimer’s Disease;
· containing an active ingredient that helps fight infections.
Credit: Authority Nutrition
Information and further discussion of points above can be found at:
Delicious summer ginger drink coutesy of Epicurious.com
INGREDIENTS (YIELD Makes 4 servings)
• 1/2 cup (packed) chopped fresh mint leaves
• 1/3 cup chopped fresh ginger
• 1/3 cup honey
• 2 cups boiling water
• 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
• 1 1/2 cups (about) cold water
• Ice cubes
• Fresh mint leaves
• Lemon slices
• Combine chopped mint, ginger, and honey in medium bowl. Add boiling water. Let steep 30 minutes. Strain into 4-cup glass measuring cup, pressing on solids to extract liquid. Add lemon juice and enough cold water to measure 4 cups total. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
• Fill glasses with ice cubes. Add lemonade. Garnish with mint leaves and lemon slices and serve.
When our bodies are in a good place, we feel stronger and are then able to fully embrace the day. Beauty and confidence often begins deep within us. Treating our bodies will not only have a physical effect but an emotional one as well. Just a few small changes, such as adding ginger to your diet, can make a world of difference, and it's easy too!
Thank you so much for joining us today!
Stop by Thursday for our next blog post
Quote to take with you for the week:
"Drinking a daily cup of tea will surely starve the apothecary."
-Ancient Chinese Proverb