The Power of Lemons
When we think of lemons, we often think of lemonade. While lemonade can be delicious, it is not the best way to enjoy all of the health benefits lemons have to offer. Lemons provide our bodies with numerous vitamins, minerals and vital trace elements, such as vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin E, folate citric acid, flavonoids (composites that contain antioxidant and cancer-fighting properties), calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, zinc and fiber.
Lemons are a great energy booster. They can help awaken our senses and refresh our bodies, especially first thing in the morning when our tissues are dehydrated and in desperate need of fluid to push out toxins.
Here are a couple of other benefits to starting your day off with a lemon water beverage:
- Lemon water will provide your body with plenty of hydrating electrolytes in the form of potassium, calcium, and magnesium.
- Lemon water can help your liver produce more enzymes - a great liver detoxifier
- Lemon water can help you battle everything from sore throats to tonsil inflammation, thanks to the anti-inflammatory property of lemon. Add honey to your lemon water beverage to sooth a sore throat
- Lemons are a powerful antioxidant, and can protect your body from various free radicals and also strengthen your immune system
- Lemon water can help cleanse your blood and arteries
- Lemons balance your body's chemistry by allowing your body to keep a higher PH level which helps your body fight off disease
- In addition to vitamin C, lemons offer 80 milligrams of potassium which helps your body stay strong and nimble
Lemon water beverage:
- Hot water - you can boil your water as if making a cup of tea
- Squeeze a fresh lemon 1/4 - 1/3
Optional ingredients to add:
- honey for sweetener
- Cinnamon stick
*wash lemon before using (you can put the lemon skins into hot water because the entire lemon is full of healthy benefits.)
- Fill a bottle with cold water and add a lemon wedge for on the go
(This simple addition can make drinking water more enjoyable thus keeping our bodies thoroughly hydrated throughout the day.)
Optional Ingredients to add:
Thank you so much for joining us today!
Stop by Thursday for our next blog post
Quote to take with you for the week:
"The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, not to worry about the future, or not to anticipate troubles, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly."
-Siddhartha Gautama Buddha